am now woefully behind
Tonight was pretty crazy for me, so I didn’t get very much writing done. I freaked out about my collegiate career and had to spend a couple of hours not being in reality. But I think I’m better now. This scene is about as creepy as I wanted the last one to be.
Gali knelt on the floor next to him, grasping his arm with her hands.
“Do you remember what happened, Mr. Rhodes? Do you know where you are?”
“I couldn’t… couldn’t remember who I was…” his hands laid uselessly on the floor, palms up. He repeatedly clenched them and then relaxed, digging his nails deeply into the skin of his palm, leaving behind tiny crescent moons. “It was him – the old man who lived here last before me. I knew that he had died… and that his wife had gone to a nursing home. But I had no idea the he had… nobody told me that he had killed himself. And she – she must have though… that he hated…. She must have gone crazy, thinking that he hated her and his life so much that he could not even stand the last few years they had together. Everyone must have thought that she went senile… None of her kids would have wanted to deal with her… How could I…? No. How could he….?”
His voice was starting to get higher. More emotional, frantic.
“So you couldn’t even remember who you were?” asked Gali.
“I wasn’t me. Even when I looked down at my arms… they were not mine. They were his, butchered and bleeding. Red blood, oozing out of the putrid muscles in his flesh… And when he was dead… I think that that is when I woke up.”
“Why would you have channeled him in the attic?” asked Perry. “Why not before?”
“He killed himself up here,” answered Mr. Rhodes, still speaking slowly. “She had arthritis and he knew that she could not get up the ladder. After a day or so… the smell of him must have drifted downstairs. She would have called the police or something, to come up here… to find him lying here, blood soaking into the wood of the floorboards…”
Samantha looked like she was going to be sick to her stomach. Even Perry was looking disturbed. Only Gali seemed entirely unaffected by Mr. Rhodes’ horrific descriptions.
“Let’s go downstairs,” said Anthony. “We’re all wigging out up here. We can sit down and eat cookies.”
“Cookies!” said Perry. Everybody followed him down. Adrian paused before stepping on the ladder. His eyes were drawn to the area next to the window. He could feel his skin crawling as a shudder ran through his body. Stepping gingerly, he followed the kids downstairs.
Music used for this bit: Breaking Benjamin

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home