2.10.2006

Story! Wow!

The school was confined enough that they decided to search the rooms as one large group.  Gali walked in the front, with Perry right alongside her, mocking her eagerness to find something.  Anthony normally would have been content to just walk by Samantha, but tonight he hung back a bit by Mr. Rhodes.  
They began with the English hall, as that was where Mr. Rhodes’ room was located.  Mr. Rhodes enjoyed viewing the projects that adorned the walls of his fellow teachers and observing classroom layouts, but nothing out of the ordinary was seen or felt.  Gali grew increasingly annoyed with every cleared classroom, while everyone else seemed to become more relieved.  Just as they were about to climb the stairs from the English hallway to the Math hallway, Perry’s cellphone belted out a familiar pop song set to constrained metallic chimes.  He drew the phone, flipped it open, and lifted it to his ear like a gunslinger ready to shoot for his life.
“Hey, Lindsey, what’s happening?  …What?!  Oh, no, that was tonight?!  Oh my god, I am so sorry!  No, seriously -- I am – Lindsey, would I lie to you?  Hey, now.  Let’s not be like that.  ….No, I guess I just thought that your party was going to be on the weekend, when people wouldn’t have homework.  Yeah….yeah….well, see the thing is, I won’t just be late – I’m not coming at all.  Yeah, I know.  I have other plans, though.  Well, aren’t you nosy?  If you must know, I’m doing some paranormal research right now.  Yeah, that’s right, it’s actually…”
Realizing that her death-glares were not getting through to Perry, Gali walked over and plucked the phone from his hand.
“Perry has other plans for the evening.  Good night.”  She snapped the phone shut and placed back in his open palm.
“What the hell, Gali, I was almost done!”
“Yeah?  Well the call shouldn’t have even happened in the first place.  I thought I told you guys to put your phones on silent.  I had my doubts about being able to find ghosts here in the first place, since there are so many people all the time anyway, but I think you just ruined any spirit-inviting atmosphere there might have been.”
Perry’s good-natured grin was fading from his face.  “Why are you so adamant about finding ghosts, anyway?”  His voice was changing, losing its sarcasm and sounding like an entirely different person as it became harsher.  “After what happened to Anthony and Mr. Rhodes, you’d think you’d be grateful to have a tame night, but not you, Gali.  All you care about is finding another one – why?  Why are you so pissed when we hinder your progress that you don’t even care about any of the rest of us?”
Gali had looked furious at first, but as Perry’s tirade continued, her rage had evaporated and a defeated expression was left on her face.  She opened her mouth, but Mr. Rhodes spoke before she could.
“You know, Perry, you all voluntarily joined the club, and we all agreed to continue hunting ghosts.  Gali only has very few rules for you guys, and you never had a problem before now.  If you thought they were stupid, then you should have said something.”  Samantha glanced at Mr. Rhodes in surprise, apparently not having expected him to have such a strong opinion on the matter.
Gali fixed a frosty gaze on Perry.  “Are you done now?  Turn off your cellphone and let’s finish this.”
Conversation was stilted as the club continued their hallway prowling.  Perry drifted away from Gali to the back of the group, walking next to Anthony.  Samantha tried to get closer to Gali, but Gali only offered minimal responses to her conversation-starters and walked faster whenever Samantha got too close.
As they began to round the corner into the science lab hallway, Gali stopped so suddenly her shoes squeaked.  A middle-aged man dressed in business casual looked equally surprised as his eyes fell upon the group and their red-lensed flashlights.  “Well…having a little field day in the school after hours, are we?”
“Yup,” said Gali, who quite obviously wanted the conversation to be over.
“Hello, Mr. Kozicki,” said Mr. Rhodes.
“Adrian,” nodded Mr. Kozicki.  “What exactly are you all doing with those…lights of yours?”
“Well, we’re conducting some paranormal research,” said Anthony, casting his flashlight in small circular motions on the walls of the hallway.
“Here?  In this school?  What could possibly be here--?  Actually, nevermind.  I have no desire to know what you could imagine is drifting through our walls.”
Gali looked bored with the conversation.  “Right,” she said, taking two slow steps forward.  “Well, we’re almost done now.”
“Good.  Try to keep your Satanic flashlights turned off, though, I don’t want you scaring the janitors.”  He walked around the corner they had just turned.  The students exchanged raised eyebrows.
“What are we supposed to do, bump into each other in the dark?  The lights were turned off once the extra curriculars were over with, we don’t have any control over that,” said Perry.
“What the hell is he doing walking around the hallways this time of night, anyway?” demanded Anthony.
“Maybe he had work to do in his office and he thought he’d stretch his legs for a while,” said Samantha.
“Maybe he’s lonely,” said Mr. Rhodes, simply.
“Maybe not,” said Perry, with a laugh.  He cast his flashlight on the ceiling.  “Aren’t we about done now?” he asked, looking at everyone except Gali in turn.

1 Comments:

At 10/3/06 10:05 AM, Blogger mystickeeper said...

Wait, what??

Oh, I think you mean Mr. Kozicki, not Mr. Rhodes - Rhodes is their advisor! He loves the kids!

And as for Mr. Kozicki....no, he's not a ghost. He was just creepily wandering the halls of the school at night and ran into them.

Sorry if it was confusing!

But it's cool that someone I don't know is reading this! *high-fives*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home