's been a while. school and what-not.
It was Halloween and the students of High Glen had many things to be happy about. On October 31st, the school allowed its students to attend class without adhering to the usually rather anal dress code. Face paint, hats, headbands with devil horns and cat ears were allowed, as were additions to normal clothing (provided that skirts reached the knees and nothing of the upper region of female anatomy was revealed). Props for costumes were also allowed, even fake swords and other blades. Unfortunately, fake guns were not allowed.
In addition to the lax dress code, teachers were also quite liberal with candy on Halloween. M&Ms, suckers, candy bars, taffy, and Skittles abounded. Some teachers brought in store-bought frosted cookies, and some even made their own. Rumor had it that the new English teacher had made caramel apples for his English classes.
Festivities continued after class, with decoration contests between dormitory floors, eating Halloween-themed food in the dining halls, and creating groups to go trick-or-treating at the houses of Finbell Winters.
For the Paranormal Research Team, however, traditional festivities ended a couple of hours after dinner, when the group met in Mr. Rhodes’s classroom. Leftover caramel apples were sitting on a desk in the middle of the room when the kids entered.
“Yes!” said Perry, wrapping his fingers around a stick and setting to work at the bottom of the apple. “F’anks,” he said, grinning at Mr. Rhodes.
“Yes, thank you!” said Samantha, selecting an apple that was significantly smaller than Perry’s. “I’ve eaten so many sweets today…I don’t think this Halloween is very good for me,” she said, giggling a bit at the end.
“Of course it’s good for you,” said Gali, gnawing a glob of caramel off of the side of the apple.
“Mmmm…” said Samantha in agreement.
While everyone was occupied with their apples, Anthony selected one, but let it hang in his hand at his side for a few moments before eating any of it. Mr. Rhodes glanced at him, and realized Anthony had been waiting to catch his eye. He gave him a searching, almost desperate look. Adrian felt his expression grow cold. So, he wasn’t the only one whose dreams were plagued with the remnants of ghost visitations. He nodded darkly just once, noting that the place where Perry was standing, laughing with Samantha and Gali, was exactly where he had lain on Saturday night, trying to seek solace anywhere but his own house.
“So,” said Perry, speaking around the wad of caramel that was stuck to his teeth,”where are we going tonight, anyway?”
“Well,” said Gali, “This school used to be a monastery, right? I was thinking that maybe we could walk around a little bit, and see if we find anything. Do you have your camera, Sam?”
“Yeah,” said Samantha, drawing it out of her purse. “I haven’t actually taken pictures of anything yet. ….Is there anything I should be looking for?”
“Ohoho, you’ll know it when you see it, I’ll bet!” said Perry.
“Yeah…” said Gali, almost glaring at Perry. Or maybe, considering our past experiences, we won’t be seeing much.”
“Point taken,” said Perry. “All right, let’s DO this! It’s Halloween, right? Let’s go find some ghosts!” Samantha looked at Anthony a bit worriedly, and then at Mr. Rhodes. Perry didn’t seem to be very sensitive to their past experiences, or to everyone in the group. She and Gali exchanged eyerolls as he knelt in the doorway to retie the shoelaces of his black Pumas.
Mr. Rhodes locked the door behind everyone after they had left their unnecessary belongings inside. Perry lit his flashlight under his chin, bathing his face in an eerie red light. “Look, I got a red lens! Now I won’t ruin my night vision!”
“Yeah, we’re real proud of you, Perry,” said Anthony dryly. Samantha unclipped her flashlight from her belt. In the light of Perry’s flashlight, a silver cross that hung from her belt glimmered in the blood-colored light.

2 Comments:
yahoo! update! *jumps up and down for joy* er... well... I'm a bit belated in reading it, though.
I avidly await your next chapter :D
Yeah, me too, lol. If it counts for anything, I think about the story constantly. Things are working themselves out in my head. I just need to get back in the habit, which will hopefully happen when I go back to school?
Post a Comment
<< Home