Wahh, it's late!
This evening, I’m about 2,000 words behind where I’m supposed to be. I wasted the afternoon reading. Hopefully, my characters will talk themselves into a next scene. I’m as in the dark as the rest of you about what’s going to happen next!
Usually, the house had a bit of a musty smell to it. The smell that comes from keeping the windows shut and from not airing out the furniture often enough. After being in the attic, though, it smelled just fine. There was no dust inhalation, nor a hint of the smell of blood. Whether the scent of blood was real or just imagination was unknown.
Mr. Rhodes sat in one of the chairs at the kitchen table, slouching, and letting his hands rest uselessly in his lap. Gali retrieved the glasses of already poured milk from the refrigerator and passed them out while Anthony set the sheet of cookies in the center of the table. Everybody took cookies, but let them sit on the table, choosing to sip milk instead. Anthony leaned forward, resting his elbows on top of the table while scooting his chair away from the table a bit.
“So are we just going to keep doing this? Ghost hunting, I mean. Just keep messing with everybody’s head until we all go insane?”
“Well, you guys are okay now, right?” asked Gali. “I mean… You’re not crazy any more, Anthony. Not like you were in the graveyard.”
“How the hell would you know what the fuck I felt like in the graveyard?” His eyes were narrowed, mouth contorted in disgust. “Jesus, Gali. I don’t even know how to describe what it felt like, and no, it didn’t just “leave.” I wouldn’t say that I’m “better” now. Because now, every day, I’m scared shitless that I’m going to be thinking about it so much that it’s just going to happen again. What if it happens when I’m not expecting it? What if it happens when I’m in class? No, I’m not ‘okay’ again. Look at Mr. Rhodes – does he look like he’s okay yet? He looks like he’s going to spew chunks!”
“I’m quite all right,” said Mr. Rhodes, nibbling the edge of one of the chocolate chip cookies. They had gone cold, except for the very center, which he hoped to reach soon. “I still feel a bit unsettled, yes, but I don’t feel crazy. At least, not any more. It was an interesting experience, to say the least of it. I haven’t felt that alive in quite some time.” Perry studied him as though he thought he was lying.
“You are…. okay with this? You don’t have a problem with the fact that a…. whatever… a ghost just took over your body and forced you to relive its feelings, and its suicide? Let’s not forget the fact that it occurred in the house that you’re living in now!”
“Yeah…” said Samantha, “Won’t you be afraid to go asleep in here tonight, when we all leave and you’re by yourself?”
“But I’m always by myself,” said Mr. Rhodes. “I’m sure that I won’t feel any worse about it than I usually do.” Samantha looked away from his eyes, choosing instead to study her toes dig into the carpet.
“This has never happened before,” said Gali. “I think that we should try studying what’s going on. Figure out why it’s happening here… Why it’s happening to us.”
“No shit it’s never happened before, Gali,” said Perry. “And if it had, do you think people would have written about it for everyone to read about on the freaking Internet? And even if they had, would you’ve believed them? Why do we need to know what’s going on? Why can’t we just leave it be?”
“Well I’d certainly believe them now,” she said. “But this is something that hasn’t happened to anyone who’s wanted to talk about it. Something… damned? We don’t know.”
“I would prefer to not leave it be,” said Mr. Rhodes. “I really wasn’t sure that I believed everything that Anthony had related to us until tonight. Perhaps we should start a list of what we know so far… A sort of… you know, ‘if you know your enemy, you can fight it’ kind of thing. Figure out what is going on using what we know.”
“How do we know that the ghosts are our enemies?” asked Samantha. “Like, in ‘The Sixth Sense,’ they needed help, right? Maybe they’re trying to tell us something. To ask us something.”
“Bullshit,” said Anthony. “Maybe trying to tell us something, yeah. Like, ‘hey asshole, you are NOTHING and I have complete control over you!’ I’m going to go out a limb here and say that these ghosts, or whatever they are, do not have good intentions.”
“Regardless of their intentions, don’t you want to know what is going on? Like you said, Anthony – what if it happens again? Wouldn’t you rather know what is happening to you, than get owned again?” Gali’s eyes peered over the top of her glass to meet his. Mr. Rhodes looked at him expectantly, while Samantha looked worried about the events that were unfolding. Perry chose this moment to speak, despite having an unhealthy amount of cookie bits inside of his mouth.
“Yeah, all right. It’s better to know than to not know, whether the assholes are well-intentioned or not. ‘Sides, making a list of what we already know is definitely not going to hurt anything.”
Music: Breaking Benjamin’s ‘Saturate’ album

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home